FOR CURRENT ACTIVITY SEE THE WEBSITE WWW.MICHAELGRAY.NET

MICHAELGRAY.NET

AND THE BLOG OUTTAKES

My Photo
Name:

the pioneer of Dylan Studies; writer, public speaker, critic; became a Doctor of Letters in 2015 (awarded by the University of York, UK)

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Follow 1michaelgray1 on Twitter
 
Web bobdylanencyclopedia.blogspot.com

Thursday, May 06, 2010

ZAPPA BOOK FIRST PUBLISHED 25 YEARS AGO

Since I mark so many anniversaries I'd like to note that it's 25 years ago this week that my Frank Zappa biography, Mother!, was first published - by a very dodgy outfit called Proteus Books. In the States it was either published or at least distributed by Cherry Lane Books, from whom I never saw a cent. It wasn't a great book: I had no budget for proper research or to go and interview any of the Mothers, or others, though I did interview Frank and did attend the surreal court case when he was in London suing the Royal Albert Hall for cancelling his scheduled concert there, so those parts are the real highlights.

It's long out of print, of course, though an updated version was published later by another very dodgy outfit with the similar name of Plexus Books. They've re-published it several times since, most recently in 2007. They haven't given me a royalty statement in over two years and if I could afford to sue them I would.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Harold Lepidus said...

I bought the original Proteus edition. Don't know if this makes you feel any better, but I quoted your book here:
http://www.examiner.com/x-21829-Bob-Dylan-Examiner~y2009m12d21-Bob-Dylan-and-Frank-Zappa

4:31 pm  
Blogger Michael Gray said...

Thanks, but on my computer this won't open...

9:45 pm  
Anonymous Harold Lepidus said...

How about this ?:
http://tinyurl.com/DylanZappaGray

or go here: http://tinyurl.com/DylanExaminer

and search "Bob Dylan and Frank Zappa"

6:11 am  
Blogger Michael Gray said...

Thanks, Harold: that works for me.

10:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home