FOR CURRENT ACTIVITY SEE THE WEBSITE WWW.MICHAELGRAY.NET

MICHAELGRAY.NET

AND THE BLOG OUTTAKES

My Photo
Name:

the pioneer of Dylan Studies; writer, public speaker, critic; became a Doctor of Letters in 2015 (awarded by the University of York, UK)

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Follow 1michaelgray1 on Twitter
 
Web bobdylanencyclopedia.blogspot.com

Friday, December 12, 2008

TWO WRITINGS ABOUT BOB DYLAN

First, I understand that the biography of Dylan signed by HarperCollins in November (to be written by Daniel Mark Epstein) isn't likely to be published until mid-2011.

Second, about Dr. Malcolm Guite.

(He used to go like that:
and now he goes like this:)

And here is a very interesting - and in my opinion extremely good - piece of textual analysis of some of Dylan's Christian and bible-alluding songs, neither by an atheist like me nor by someone of a happy-clappy Born Again Californian persuasion, but by Dr. Guite - a Church of England vicar - the Chaplain of Girton College Cambridge.
He delivered (and very fast, too, I'm told ) a longer and unedited version of this as a talk at the Michaelhouse in Trinity Street Cambridge (UK) on Tuesday night - reportedly to an audience of about three Dylan afficionados and about 50 people of Dr. Guite's own sect.

To declare an interest of no particular significance, I knew Dr. Guite when I spent a term at Girton College (as a Visiting Fellow Commoner) in 2005; we played tennis together. I think we're both better at Dylan Lit Crit than at tennis.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yvonne said...

Wonderful photos, and thank you for posting the link. I'm most keen to read more about Dylan's Jesus period. Fascinating stuff.

4:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Comments Michael, I hope you note that you are duly acknowleged in various places, though I take your excellent reading of every grain of sand in a slightly different direction, you definately set me on the path with that one.
Malcolm Guite

1:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home