FOR CURRENT ACTIVITY SEE THE WEBSITE WWW.MICHAELGRAY.NET

MICHAELGRAY.NET

AND THE BLOG OUTTAKES

My Photo
Name:

the pioneer of Dylan Studies; writer, public speaker, critic; became a Doctor of Letters in 2015 (awarded by the University of York, UK)

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Follow 1michaelgray1 on Twitter
 
Web bobdylanencyclopedia.blogspot.com

Sunday, May 24, 2009

AND ON THE SUBJECT OF FOOTBALL

(which is not my strong point, I readily admit) - good results today. My father's family came from the Sunderland side of the Tyne, always much derided by those from the Newcastle side, so that it was naturally gratifying to see Sunderland stay in the Premier Division and see Newcastle go down - and especially because beaten by Aston Villa, the team always supported by my mother's side of the family, including son Gabriel. Meanwhile in Scotland, my old friend Andy will have been gratified by the triumph of Rangers over Celtic (though not my old friend Gerry R).

For myself, I couldn't give a damn, but for the sake of friend and family, a good day. Better news for me: the French Open grand slam tennis tournament has begun, and tomorrow sees a cavalcade of great artists on court, including Safina, Rafael and Roger.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha! Amazed (but interested) to see a football related entry on the blog.....

The FA Cup Final is on May 30th.

Next season's fixtures come out on June 17th.

You have a whole 18 days grace with no footy!

Tristan

4:12 pm  
Blogger Michael Gray said...

Yes, if you say so, the FA Cup Final is on May 30 - the match on the 27th is of course the European Champions League Final, between Barcelona and Manchester United. Meanwhile, Tristan, Happy Birthday.

9:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No no, I didn't mean your facts were wrong! You are spot on.

I just meant that for you non-football fans you have only a measly 18 days without football stuff (between FA Cup Final and fixtures being published).

For the football fans amongst us of course, it is 18 days too long!

Thanks for the birthday wishes - had a good day seeing a few of London's 'hidden' sights - more to follow on our blog

Tristan

10:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was born and brought up in the Newcastle and can tell you that 'the Sunderland side of the Tyne' isn't derided by Geordies. Gateshead folk would usually follow Newcastle, for example, and nobody in their right mind would go to Gateshead and deride anybody. Sorry to hear about your Mackem allegiances but it's only a daft game. Bob Dylan knows better, of course: he gamely attempts a Geordie accent in Don't Look Back, while hanging out with Alan Price on tour. On his most recent visit, he performed House of the Rising Sun (another nod to The Animals) and on Real Live I've always thought that Tangled Up In Blue lyrics were adapted for the local audience (I think that's the St James's Park performance). Still, I love Modern Times and Together Through Life so what do I know?

Best,
Martin

12:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home