FOR CURRENT ACTIVITY SEE THE WEBSITE WWW.MICHAELGRAY.NET

MICHAELGRAY.NET

AND THE BLOG OUTTAKES

My Photo
Name:

the pioneer of Dylan Studies; writer, public speaker, critic; became a Doctor of Letters in 2015 (awarded by the University of York, UK)

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Follow 1michaelgray1 on Twitter
 
Web bobdylanencyclopedia.blogspot.com

Friday, December 11, 2009

DANKO FOLLOW-UP: THOSE EARLY DYLAN-HAWKS DATES

I posted as a Comment underneath the RICK DANKO blogging, info from Dave Meinzer on the puzzling subject of Dylan's earliest concerts with the Hawks/Crackers. As a follow-up to that, he has now e-mailed me this:

"Michael... While the bobdylan.com list solves one mystery for you, I still have one of my own. I had often heard that the Dylan/Hawks tour went through my home town, Buffalo, New York. I never knew the date until Olof Bjorner's lists went up. There it said: Kleinhans Music Hall, Nov. 6, 1965. With that info, 10 years ago, I checked the microfilm archives of the two local daily newspapers to see if I could find a contemporary review. I didn't find one. What I found instead was an advertisement [above] that says the show was scheduled for November 20 - a date that both Olof's list and bobdylan.com say they were playing at an 'unknown venue' in Rochester (about 50 miles away from Buffalo). So, alas, even bobdylan.com may not be perfect."

The ad, then, would seem to clinch the Buffalo date as November 20, 1965.

And for anyone who hasn't come across Olof Björner's amazing website, it's at www.bjorner.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home