FOR CURRENT ACTIVITY SEE THE WEBSITE WWW.MICHAELGRAY.NET

MICHAELGRAY.NET

AND THE BLOG OUTTAKES

My Photo
Name:

the pioneer of Dylan Studies; writer, public speaker, critic; became a Doctor of Letters in 2015 (awarded by the University of York, UK)

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Follow 1michaelgray1 on Twitter
 
Web bobdylanencyclopedia.blogspot.com

Monday, September 05, 2011

TOM HIBBERT


I'm sorry to read of the death of Tom Hibbert, the brilliant music journalist whose "Who the Hell Is...?" series was the best thing about Q magazine back when Q was the music mag.



2 Comments:

Anonymous John Carvill said...

Agreed, both on the sadness and on Tom's column being the best thing in 'Q', back when 'Q' had a "best thing" in it. How that magazine has imploded, alas. Yes, it always had its corny, and conservative aspects, but it was once an essential purchase, and felt far less staid than Rolling Stone. Now we have, er, what, exactly? Bah!

9:23 am  
Blogger Michael Gray said...

I completely agree - though I never see Q any more so I don't know what it's like - but I remember bearing with its decline, switching to Mojo and then Uncut and then just not buying any of them. It may say as much about me as about the magazines. Somehow there's just not that much rock music I want to read about these days.

I still listen, of course - which is why I have Chris Hawkins' and Shaun W. Keaveny's Radio 6 programmes on on weekday mornings, and bits of Gideon Coe's and Guy Garvey's at night. But even with Radio 6 there's plenty that has to be avoided: the awful Nimone, to name but one (perhaps unfairly, given that I don't know how to spell some of the others).

10:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home