FOR CURRENT ACTIVITY SEE THE WEBSITE WWW.MICHAELGRAY.NET

MICHAELGRAY.NET

AND THE BLOG OUTTAKES

My Photo
Name:

the pioneer of Dylan Studies; writer, public speaker, critic; became a Doctor of Letters in 2015 (awarded by the University of York, UK)

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Follow 1michaelgray1 on Twitter
 
Web bobdylanencyclopedia.blogspot.com

Friday, January 23, 2009

SECOND FURTHER DATE ADDED: DUBLIN

This date has now been added to my BOB DYLAN & THE POETRY OF THE BLUES tour:

Wednesday May 27, 8.30pm
Whelan’s, Dublin, Ireland
25 Wexford Street, Dublin 2
Box Office: 01 4780766 / WaV Box Office Lo Call 1890 200 078 / www.ticketmaster.ie/venue/198293
tickets €14

though I doubt if the box office knows about it yet. I'm very pleased it's been added: one of the events I enjoyed most of all was my previous Whelan's gig, way back in October 2002.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael
Such good news that you're returning to Dublin.I saw your show in Whelans the last time;2002? God how time flies! Love and Theft wasn't long out and you did a nice piece on Floater
Looking forward already
Regards
MichaelS
ps Bobs next show in Dublin will be on the 46th anniversary of his show in the Adelphi 1966

8:53 pm  
Blogger joe butler said...

bob has sold Blowin in the Wind to the co-op

is this an example of the peace dividend?

7:59 am  
Blogger Michael Gray said...

Dear Michael S
Thanks for your comments. Yes, that Whelan's gig was one of my favourites: October 8, 2002.

Joe, I find this news plain depressing. Spokespersons can weasle-word it all they like but it's nothing but tacky and it cheapens him more than it enriches his purse.

10:38 am  
Blogger joe butler said...

Michael
It may cheapen him, but to choose the coop in the current climate, and to make a statement about ethical banking, whilst not exactly revolutionary, will perhaps contribute to a discussion of alternatives to the pirahnas of wall st and canary wharf

11:17 pm  
Blogger Michael Gray said...

Dear Joe
I'm sorry to say it, but my response is: Yeah, right. Like Dylan knows diddlysquat about the Co-op, or cares. What the hell is ethical or Fair Trade about Cadillacs or Pepsi?

5:02 pm  
Blogger joe butler said...

I saw Bob last week in the Erdington Coop buying a bottle of fair trade Pepsi.
OK the guy is a complete arsehole
but I,m still listening to him.
as are you Michael

11:39 am  
Blogger Michael Gray said...

Joe
I would never say anything like "the guy is a complete arsehole" - don't implicitly put those words in my mouth. I don't even know him. I only know the artist, not the man - and that the way the latter now allies the former with selling fizzy drinks, women's underwear, gas-gulping cars and who-knows-what-next is to demean both. I saw Neil Young on TV the other night, and one of the things that struck me, apart from the unafraid straightforwardness of Young in interview, was his singing this:

"Ain't singin' for Pepsi
Ain't singin' for Coke
I don't sing for nobody
Makes me look like a joke".

You're right, of course: I'm still listening to Bob Dylan. But once I could admire his integrity too.

10:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home