FOR CURRENT ACTIVITY SEE THE WEBSITE WWW.MICHAELGRAY.NET

MICHAELGRAY.NET

AND THE BLOG OUTTAKES

My Photo
Name:

the pioneer of Dylan Studies; writer, public speaker, critic; became a Doctor of Letters in 2015 (awarded by the University of York, UK)

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Follow 1michaelgray1 on Twitter
 
Web bobdylanencyclopedia.blogspot.com

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

WHEN I'M 64 . . .

I remember hearing 'When I'm 64' when it was new and I was 21 - hearing it too many times for my liking - and thinking with the callow scorn of youth that it was well nigh unimaginable ever to reach that aeons-distant point - or, therefore, to be asking that comically plaintive double-question "Will you still need me, will you still feed me...?" (comical almost on a par with Bob's "Georgia Sam he had a bloody nose / Welfare Department wouldn't give him no clothes").

But now, well... I find I've arrived. And the question no longer seems so funny. Lawdy. (Luckily, Sarah says her answer is "yes".)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Yvonne said...

Wishing you a very happy birthday! Best/Yvonne

8:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean re your 21 year old self. Hope you enjoyed your birthday but then how could you fail to with the lovely Sarah by your side and answering "yes" to those questions.

Homer, being nice in the light of your birthday - I'll be back to my usual grumpy old self in the next missive.

9:39 pm  
Anonymous Jack Evans said...

and still a young man!(and a lucky one)...
Happy Birthday Michael and thanks for all
the thoughts and information over the years.

11:30 pm  
Anonymous Kieran said...

Congratulations, Michael! And good for you that Sarah still says yes - you must be good at "mending a fuse" and "digging the garden", and sure, what else would a woman want!

Happy Birthday - and long may you reign...

8:39 pm  
Blogger Michael Gray said...

No, Kieran, Sarah does those things too! 'What good am I?' It's not for me to say.

PS. Our grandchildren are not in fact called Vera, Chuck and Dave.

10:08 am  
Anonymous Jack said...

Happy Birthday Michael,

I know this is an unrelated post with regards previous ones, but i was wondering if you had ever heard the music of the German folk singer Sibylle Baier. If not, her discovery could be a great birthday present.

4:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home