FOR CURRENT ACTIVITY SEE THE WEBSITE WWW.MICHAELGRAY.NET

MICHAELGRAY.NET

AND THE BLOG OUTTAKES

My Photo
Name:

the pioneer of Dylan Studies; writer, public speaker, critic; became a Doctor of Letters in 2015 (awarded by the University of York, UK)

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Follow 1michaelgray1 on Twitter
 
Web bobdylanencyclopedia.blogspot.com

Monday, May 16, 2011

MAY 14, 1966

 Two days ago, it was 45 years since I first saw Bob Dylan live. The Odeon cinema, London Road, Liverpool. I didn't boo. And listening to the recordings now, I feel the same way I've felt for many years: that surely the 'Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues' performed that night is the absolute transcendent moment of moments among that side of his work that expressed alienation, desperation, the acceptance of chaos yet equally the passionate insistence of belief that "there must be some way out of here".

8 Comments:

Anonymous Rambling Gambling Gordon said...

I'd only add that his melisma was never more mesmerising.

9:36 pm  
Blogger Coventrian said...

Is Dominique Strauss-Kahn the William Zantzinger de nos jours?

10:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael

I have just read your Dylan 70th birthday article in the Japan Times.

This is one of the most perceptive and insightful assessments of Dylan I have ever seen.

Paul.

12:23 pm  
Blogger Michael Gray said...

Dear Rambling and Paul
Thanks for both comments.

Dear Coventrian
I hadn't thought of that: it's clever, though I think we have to agree that M. Strauss Kahn has to be considered innocent till proven guilty.

6:20 pm  
Anonymous Kieran said...

Hi Michael,

I also just read the Japanese Times article - well done! It hits the nail on the head most forcefully...except - "Empire Burlesque" is a poor album?

I LOVE Empire Burlesque!

Great article though, summarising the life and career of a truly great man...

9:09 pm  
Blogger DiscConnected said...

Michael-

I just found your blog and immediately signed up as a follower!

Did you catch the Rolling Stone list of best Dylan songs? What did you think?

Some of the choices I found interesting, others were no-brainers.

But seventy is an awful big list. I'd had the idea of trying to name just ten.

A couple of blogger friends and I are posting our "top ten" lists on Tuesday.

Larry

11:10 pm  
Blogger Michael Gray said...

Larry
Welcome to the blog! No, I haven't seen the Rolling Stone list. So many Dylan things going on around this birthday: quite extraordinary. Mick Brown called it "this Dylan epidemic industry", if I heard him aright, on the radio this morning.

12:03 pm  
Anonymous Yvonne said...

Alas to have been born too late and on the wrong continent for that concert. So thankful for the recordings.

4:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home