FOR CURRENT ACTIVITY SEE THE WEBSITE WWW.MICHAELGRAY.NET

MICHAELGRAY.NET

AND THE BLOG OUTTAKES

My Photo
Name:

the pioneer of Dylan Studies; writer, public speaker, critic; became a Doctor of Letters in 2015 (awarded by the University of York, UK)

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Follow 1michaelgray1 on Twitter
 
Web bobdylanencyclopedia.blogspot.com

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

LEMON, CARL, JOHNNY, SAM & 'MATCHBOX'

A reader of my McTell blog has sent me the URL to a terrific and mysteriously authored blogpage. The authorship wouldn't be so intriguing if it weren't written in such an attractively confident, relaxed way. (Maybe if I'd explored further I'd find there was no mystery to it at all, but there we are. I'm passing this on in a hurry, trying to get other stuff done today, before the Christmas tree and stuff comes down tomorrow morning.)

The blogpage, part of, er, Heart on a Stick, is about the couplet with the first line 'I'm standin' here wonderin' will a matchbox hold my clothes', and discusses it in relation to Blind Lemon Jefferson and onwards to Carl Perkins, Sam Cooke and others but also backwards from Jefferson to the great early blues women, from whose songwriterly records so many of the pre-war guitarist-singers (and pianist-singers) took bits and pieces of lyric to make new songs. Eric Clapton - another person with an entry in The Bob Dylan Encyclopedia - is also featured.

The blog in question is here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home