FOR CURRENT ACTIVITY SEE THE WEBSITE WWW.MICHAELGRAY.NET

MICHAELGRAY.NET

AND THE BLOG OUTTAKES

My Photo
Name:

the pioneer of Dylan Studies; writer, public speaker, critic; became a Doctor of Letters in 2015 (awarded by the University of York, UK)

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Follow 1michaelgray1 on Twitter
 
Web bobdylanencyclopedia.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

HE NOT BUSY BEING BORN...

APRIL 2ND saw Leon Russell turn 70. He was born in Lawton, Oklahoma.

APRIL 3RD was the 125th birthday of Dooley Wilson, the man who sings and plays piano in the great film Casablanca, especially, of course, playing 'As Time Goes By' at Bogart's insistence and against Ingrid Bergman's wishes. (I spoke to Ingrid Bergman once... when I was working for United Artists Records in London in 1977-79 they'd issued 'As Time Goes By' as a single, and it went silver, and I was asked to tell Ms Bergman, since she was on the sountrack of the single, that she had earned a Silver Disc. To my disappointment, though not my surprise, she was unimpressed, and therefore not especially friendly.)

APRIL 3RD was also the 10th anniversary of the death in Atlanta GA, age 63, of Gene Vincent's core guitarist Paul Peek.

Lastly, APRIL 5TH is the 105th anniversary of the birth of Lord Buckley (pictured) in Tuolumne CA.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Wee Tommy said...

Surely it was the other way round - at Bergman's insistence, and against Bogart's wishes: "I thought I told you never to play that song..."

Great story about the silver disc.

10:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael, The Web Sheriff has got his boot on my neck.
As you may recall I've been consistent in expressing my appreciation for Bob's current work in studio and out over the past few years.
I thought the 2010 shows in Korea, and Japan had a lot of material I found myself drawn to again and again. This while acknowledging that there were recent times where I would search and have a hard time finding performances I cared to listen to once through.
Anyhow I'm following along here, but the vanished ease of following Dylan is discouraging.
I've been looking for a post to drop these comments into, but I haven't seen you address this subject recently.
BTW: Heard anything about the "rumored soundtrack mentioned in the British GQ article?

Pat Ford
Pat Ford

5:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home